Six Things Your Dentist Wants You To Know
There a lot of things we do on a daily basis that our dentist probably wouldn’t be too keen on. Constant snacking, eating gummy candy, and failing to floss all fall into that category. So, here is a list of things that your dentist really wants you to know.
1. Dental X-Rays: A dental x-ray emits less radiation than standing in the sun for an hour. It is safe and needed to perform the highest level of treatment.
2. Baby Bottle Tooth Decay: For years dentists have warned parents about the damaging effects of letting a child go to sleep with a bottle, and it seems as though few have listened. The sugars, acids, and lack of saliva in the mouth while sleeping are a lethal combination for decay.
3. Xylitol Gum: Chewing gum with xylitol in it is a must in order to reduce and wash away bad bacteria in your mouth. It can even help keep away cavities.
4. Tongue Piercings: Tongue piercings can seriously harm your teeth, tongue, and gums. Piercings in the mouth increase the risk of infection and can lead to multiple oral health problems.
5. Insurance Information: Share your insurance information before having any work done. Talk to your dentist and his team about what your plan does and does not cover, that way there will be no surprises when you get the bill.
6. Bleeding Gums: Bleeding gums are not normal. If your gums bleed when you are brushing them, then you likely have periodontal disease. You should see your dentist if you are experiencing bloody gums.
Knowing these facts will keep you healthy and happy and will help you cultivate a strong relationship with your dentist.